IT'S THE MONEY SHOT!!

working towards an intellectual understanding of booty chatter.

miércoles, abril 23, 2008

whatfor: call that girl.

dl: WHATFOR - Call That Girl (YSI)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatfor (not to be confused with THIS Whatfor) was described to me as "sort of like The Kinks collaborating with Rufus Wainwright". I wasn't sure what to think of that description, but the debut album Sooner Late Than Never will be released on May 20th through Science of Sound records. I'm generally a sucker for anything Science of Sound releases-- Sleeping In The Aviary, His & Her Vanities, She Is So Beautiful/She Is So Blonde...so even if I wasn't down with The Kinks and Rufus Wainwright getting down, I was still excited to hear this album.

"Call That Girl" was an immediate standout track, possibly because I am in love with short songs. Other possibilities? It's a fucking amazing pop song. It's amazing to the degree that it makes me want to compare Whatfor to The Beatles. And you know what? I hate when bloggers compare things to The Beatles, because the 1964 Beatles are almost indistinguishable from the 1970 Beatles. But I don't know enough about The Beatles (yeah I said it!) to make that distinction. Hell, maybe this isn't like The Beatles at all*. Maybe YOU are The Beatles.

And maybe this delightful indie-pop-rock album is made for summer. Listening to it makes me feel like this, except with more volleyball. And I'd actually be good at volleyball so I'd singlehandedly kick the other team's ass. And then sharks would eat all the people I don't like. You know?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
BONER TRACK: WHATFOR - I Want A Girl (YSI)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
- SPACE IT - HYPE IT -

* Even if the band's bio involves a comparison to The Beatles.

Etiquetas: , , , , , , , , , ,