IT'S THE MONEY SHOT!!

working towards an intellectual understanding of booty chatter.

miércoles, agosto 02, 2006

viva la france: kelis gets a facelift from braxe.

ALAN BRAXE is well known in the French electronica scene.

But you may not be up on that. It may sound pretentious for me to say that, but I know I'm certainly not familiar with it. However, you may know him from his 1998 hit single "Music Sounds Better With You". No? Me either. I suppose I was too busy listening to The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill around that time...and then there was also "The Boy is Mine".

In any case, what is really relevant is what Alan Braxe is doing today. He released a hit single called "Rubicon" in 2004. With the success of this single, he has moved on to remix songs for blogger faves such as Annie, Goldfrapp, Royskopp, Test Icles, Death From Above 1979, and Bjork.

What really matters right now is not any of these remixes. Along with usual collaborator Fred Falke, he has remixed "Bossy" by Kelis f/ Too $hort. Not only has he remixed it, he has made it significantly better. Honestly, even if she was back with an 808...the beat was just not gellin', ya know? Along with the new beat, he has replaced Too $hort's whack ass rhyme and put it in the middle of the song, rather than towards the end. For some reason, this works Jesus magic.

Beyond the incredible nature of this single song, I just want to express my hopes that Braxe's interest in Kelis will trigger some respect for her within the blogosphere. People call her a one (or two) hit wonder, but what they fail to realize is that songs like "Milkshake" are among her worst work. Kelis is one of the most intriguing R&B artists of our generation, constantly taking risks musically and maintaining a unique presence. She may just be a pop artist, but it's important to recognize that she is in fact an artist.

DOWNLOAD: KELIS- Bossy (Alan Braxe & Fred Falke remix)

PRE-ORDER Kelis Was Here
, BUY The Upper Cuts

BLOGGER NOTE: Big ups to my boy at Bigstereo for sharing the link from fluo kids with me. Big ups to fluo kids for posting this in the first place. This song may be old news to some, but whatevs. Every ear should hear this shit.

BLOGWATCH: Stop Loving Everything has some new songs by The Changes, who I kind of love. 20 Jazz Funk Greats has a live track by The Knife. The Daily Growl has a song by Lily Allen that almost makes me believe the hype.

Etiquetas: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

Ah yes. The Alan Braxe mix of Bossy. I too agree that it's way better than the original. I love my girl...ever since Kalideiscope...Wanderland was just average for me--save a couple of tracks. Her "Milkshake" album was decent...Kalideiscope is hands down her best album yet in my opinion.

Anyway...as far as remixes go...Scumfrog also turned out a somewhat fierce remix of Bossy which is better in my opinion than the original version. Anyway...thanks for this :-)

cheers

DirkDigglerJ

8/03/2006 12:33 p. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home