IT'S THE MONEY SHOT!!

working towards an intellectual understanding of booty chatter.

viernes, mayo 23, 2008

bedtime for toys: earth, wind, and fire cover.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
About a year ago, I was at a party in which the iPod DJ killed the party by playing nothing but bad ol' skool soul, funk, R&B, and disco. By stealth methods of doing the hipster fist-pump across the living-room of the frat-house hosting the party, a friend and I located the guilty iPod and replaced it with one with a superior music selection. We had less than a second to decide what to play next, as the hosts and partygoers would be suspicious if the music stopped for too long. While it was a risk because the song was only just catching on, we decided on Rihanna's "Umbrella". The dancing-space was no longer empty after that.

When the host discovered our dastardly plan, she transformed from the pretty
Little Red-Haired Girl into a total cracked-out Skeksi. Pretty people aren't meant to be angry! And while I'd like to say otherwise, they're definitely not meant to be DJs. She snatched the iPod out of my friend's hand and replaced it with the original. Interrupting the bodies who were grinding to a pleasant pop song (and the song itself), she turned on "September" by Earth, Wind, and Fire. The dancing-space got empty faster than Josh Peck came in Olivia Thirby's vagina in The Wackness (see it June 3rd, seriously!)...

Beyond even this instance, I have a hate-hate relationship with "September". When I initially heard that Bedtime For Toys was doing a cover of the song, I had mixed feelings. Either they'd bring new life to a song I hate, and I'd be forced to admit that I may like "September", or I'd hate their cover solely because I hate the original. Or both! While I'm hesitant to say that I'm a fan of the cover, it's been growing on me since first hearing it. Given that I'm already tapping my foot vigorously in my desk chair, I imagine that I'd probably be drunkenly dancing to this if it came on at a party. And while Marchelle's performance of the song is outstanding as usual, I think this has a lot more to do with the instrumental. No matter how great you are, Bedtime For Toys, you can NOT get me to admit that I like "September". Ever.

Aside from the BFT IZ PUNK n B project, the Toys seem to be recording some other new material. "Cold Fever" was recently given a
video treatment, and a new song called "Flashback" has just popped up. It incorporates the "Woo! Yeah!" sample that I'm ever so fond of, and even makes a lyrical reference to Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock's "It Takes Two". The Toys clearly know the way to this blogger's heart.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Etiquetas: , , , , , , , , , ,