IT'S THE MONEY SHOT!!

working towards an intellectual understanding of booty chatter.

jueves, julio 10, 2008

sunshine anderson: sunshine at midnight.

dl: SUNSHINE ANDERSON - Problems (YSI)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm nearly a year and a half late on this, but I've finally acquired Sunshine Anderson's second album Sunshine At Midnight (thanks to my short stay on eMusic). I've always been obsessed with her 2001 single "Heard It All Before", one of the ultimate female break-up songs. The video is especially amazing, and I like to think that all women who are wronged bust out a pint of "NEWLY SINGLE" branded ice cream and sing to their triflin' holographic ex-boyfriends.

Much like her debut album's first single, the first single released off of Sunshine At Midnight "Something I Wanna Give You" continued along with Ms. Anderson's angst, boasting such lines as "And one more thing, you were only so so in bed. I had to fake it more times then I can count on both of my hands." The angst doesn't stop there. Despite having potentially romantic titles such as "Good Love" and "My Whole Life", the first five songs on the album have Sunshine doing what she does best--hating on shady men, empowering women. But she doesn't lose her charm when she starts to get romantic, as proven on the third single "Wear The Crown"--"It was a stormy Sunday. I was sitting at the Waffle House, when you looked my way. I spilled grits and shit all over my legs." I'd like to nominate that for best piece of R&B imagery outside of "Trapped In The Closet".

Although tracks 6-12 majorly lean towards mushy, optimistic slow jams, it also contains one of the album's most amazing moment. "Problems" doesn't deal with Sunshine's own issues, but tells a tale about an old friend she ran into. Her man was taken away by the police and she's left stripping for money to pay the rent and feed her children. She laments to Sunshine by stating she'd like to drink and smoke her problems away, and Sunshine's just like, "Girl, I know! I've been there too." So it's not necessarily the feel good song of the new millennium, but the chorus is damn motherfuckin' catchy. Seriously, if you're an R&B fan who doesn't already own this album...you might need it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
BONER TRACK: SUNSHINE ANDERSON - Trust (YSI)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
- BUY IT - SITE IT - SPACE IT - WIK IT -

Etiquetas: , , ,