IT'S THE MONEY SHOT!!

working towards an intellectual understanding of booty chatter.

jueves, junio 12, 2008

boner4mgmt: part three, 2005.

HIPSTER RUNOFF has proven to me that it's "a blog worth blogging about" with the recent post "Bands that Sound Okay and Look Cute are destined for big things". And since I must be an "uninteresting person who likes to be into alt music", I am going to continue perpetuating the MGMT hype with the third installment of my series BONER4MGMT. We began in 2003 when "Kids" first hit my ears, moving on to 2004's dance parties and interpretative movements. And so begins 2005.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the spring of 2005, I enrolled in a class called Hazardous Earth: Stuff That Will Kill You. It was the sort of science class with a funny name that Wesleyan created for people who don't really care about science. There were two sections of the class, and when we presented our final posters I recall attending the session for the other section due to a conflict. I lugged my whack-ass poster about Santorini to the science center, sat through a bunch of boring presentations, and then two guys got up with nothing but an iPod and speakers. One of these guys was Andrew VanWyngarden of The Management.


Our professor loved the song so much that he played it for my section of the class. I loved the song so much that I was determined to make it a dance-party hit, taking action by including it in an epic end-of-the-year post on the blog I wrote for at the time. And it worked to some degree! As I was jamming at the house party of an individual who will be labeled as "Adam", the song somehow found it's way onto the playlist. As it played, Andrew VanWyngarden entered the party. In my head, he gave me a look. I don't recall if this was a look of acknowledgment or a dirty look. Maybe he didn't look at me at all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a final music thesis project, The Management performed in Wesleyan University's Memorial Chapel. While I'm not sure why I missed this show, I did manage to catch them another time. My friends and I arrived together, but parted our separate ways for most of the party. As soon as "Kids" started playing, it was as if we Kitty-Pride'd ourselves through the crowd to form a circle. Then we jumped a lot and were very excited.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some time in 2005, The Management changed their name to MGMT. According to sources, the Time To Pretend EP was released on January 1, 2005. This is pretty much inaccurate as far as I remember. The band toured with Of Montreal summer and fall of 2005, and the debut of the music video for "Boogie Down" came in early November. A little less than a month after the debut of "Boogie Down", the video for "Destrokk" showed up.


Around the time that the band started touring with Of Montreal, I desperately tried to pitch "Kids" to a number of blogs including You Ain't No Picasso. Just sayin'. Despite the fact that "Kids" is dominating on blogs these days, it apparently wasn't good enough back then!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
- BUY IT - SITE IT - SPACE IT - HYPE IT - WIK IT -

Etiquetas: , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

AMAZING mgmt posts!

I LOVE IT!

if you have anymore early/rare tracks put them up post-haste!

Thanks a billion for these though, just what i needed!

6/13/2008 2:04 a. m.  
Blogger Colin Fitzpatrick said...

I heard an MGMT song during an episode of Gossip Girl a month or two ago. Hopefully that liscensing fee paid off their fancy educations.

6/19/2008 1:54 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

hey! Can you please re-upload all these MGMT hidden treasures? Cause zshare is kinda fucked up right now and the ysi files are expired!

11/17/2008 4:21 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

As well, this track swiftly made the rounds in our department, and became something of a theme song for the weekly 'Gin and Tectonics' social hour for Wesleyan Geology Majors.

2/22/2010 11:23 p. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home