IT'S THE MONEY SHOT!!

working towards an intellectual understanding of booty chatter.

martes, junio 10, 2008

boner4mgmt: part one, 2003.

I originally intended for this to be a huge post dedicated to my eternal, undying love of MGMT. I've now decided to break it up into a daily series (by year) starting with 2003. I realize that MGMT are a big deal right now, but this series isn't a ploy to get hits to this blog. It's precisely because of MGMT being a big deal that I've realized this long history we have together, despite the fact that I've never had a conversation with either of the original members. So bear with me through this unnecessary introduction, as I chronicle my life with The Management. Er...I mean, MGMT.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prior to attending college, I was on AIM talking to another prospective student. It was the standard pre-college chit-chat. What dorm do you want to live in? OMG, let's party so much together when we get to school! Were you early decision too?...What kind of music do you like?

I paused. This is the sort of question that trips you up as a teenager. You want to stay true to yourself, while also citing some artist who makes you seem really cool. And you don't want to be that tool who says something like, "Hehe, ne-thing but country!!" Or you're just me. And you simply say..."I'm really into emo." Lame. And then the person you're talking to says, "Oh, like Modest Mouse?" If she could see your face upon asking this, you'd probably be blushing because your favorite albums at this point are by Dashboard Confessional and Something Corporate. You have no idea who she's talking about, but play it cool by saying, "Oh, I've never heard of them. Can you send me one of their songs?"

Oh my god, I’ve gotta gotta gotta gotta move on
Where do you move when what you’re moving from
Is yourself?

Her away message would occasionally read this way, a lyric from "Neverending Math Equation". Knowing the reference made you feel like you were in the know. But you had so much more to learn...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Within the first couple of weeks of college, I found myself sitting in a girl named Janine's room. We were already friends in the sense that we lived in the same dorm and once encountered a rollerblading asexual together. It was in her room that I would first hear the word "hipster", a word that five years later would ironically be used by outsiders to label my existence. It was in her room that I would first hear the sounds of Ben Gibbard's voice, and do interpretative dances to "Such Great Heights". And it was in her room that I would first hear The Management.


The moment the song hit my ears, I was in love. It was unlike anything I heard before, which may not be saying much given how ignorant my ears were at that point. My memory of that day is a little hazey, but in my head I scurried back to my room and immediately acquired any recordings by this mysterious campus band. I then proceeded to have my first ever private one-man dance-party with "Kids", the first of many.

And then there was "We Care", "We Don't Care", "Hot Love Drama", "Money To Burn", and most importantly--"Just Becuz". While it never seemed to be the preferred song of most connoisseurs of The Management, I latched onto this song. The entire school may have been united in loving "Kids", and whether it makes sense or not..."Just Becuz" was my own personal "Kids".



The rest of my 2003 experience with The Management would include consistently misquoting the lyrics to "Kids" while drunk at parties. Kissedaguy.com style!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
- BUY IT - SITE IT - SPACE IT - HYPE IT - WIK IT -

Etiquetas: , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

Thanks for these. I look fwd to your future posts on this subject-for whatever reason, these kind of stories are interesting to me. M.

6/10/2008 7:15 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

I just managed to buy tickets to see MGMT in London in November and am sooooo excited.

If anything is going to bond people together, it is surely an asexual rollerblader. LOL.

6/10/2008 8:01 p. m.  
Blogger DJ DJ said...

Hi, I'm the rollerblading asexual! (I get blog alerts whenever anyone uses the word "asexual", long story.) Fun fact: during the McCarthy era, a professor named Ned Goldwasser was asked to sign a document saying he would never join the communist party. He refused, was kicked out, and moved to the University of Illinois where he met my grandfather, David Lazarus. The two became best friends, so when I (rollerblading asexual) went to Welseyan, it was only natural that Ned's grandson Ben would come to visit me as a prefrosh. Ben loved Wesleyan so much that he decided to come, and loved my room at Westco so much that he decided to live there, which is why MGMT got together. (I may have some details wrong here.)

Chalk 4eva

David Jay

6/10/2008 10:32 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

"I originally intended for this to be a huge post dedicated to my eternal, undying love of MGMT...."

I'm gonna look you up in 10 years bro and ask you how UNDYING your LOVE still is for this utterly disposable music. I expect it'll have a shelf life of like 3 years, at which point I'm sure you'll be declaring your (new) UNDYING LOVE for an equally banal band.

6/11/2008 1:32 a. m.  
Blogger a little heirloom. said...

i wonder if anon up there even read the blog?

7/16/2008 3:41 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

WOw thank you so much for sharing all these memories!!
I hope you could write more...
Did you eventually meet them personally?

4/03/2009 12:09 a. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home