IT'S THE MONEY SHOT!!

working towards an intellectual understanding of booty chatter.

miércoles, enero 14, 2009

yung trev + m.i.a: bonafide hustla

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Hump-Hop Hooray" is the latest regular series here. Every Wednesday, I'll be bringing you a different hip-hop track, new or old, for your hump day consideration.

I don't normally like to post tracks that I don't enjoy, but I felt like this is one that deserves to be discussed. I'm not crazy about Maya and Santi being adopted as hip-hop's hottest gals to sample. While I know it's a great way for artists like T.I. and Jay-Z to get serious hype from the indie-blog world, those samples were annoying as fuck. Seriously. "Paper Planes" was a great fucking song, but I dread hearing the line "No one on the corner got swagga like us" every time I hear it. That's not even considering that the term "swagga" somehow sound as dated as "homie"...

But I digress. Yung Trev is the latest rapper to jump on the M.I.A.-sampling bandwagon. His flow isn't particularly impressive, at best reflecting a second-rate Too $hort, but I have to give him credit for taking the initiative to sample something aside from the "swagga" line. When I say that "he" took the initiative, I literally mean that he produced this track.

Now, I don't like this beat. I don't like his flow. I don't ever want to listen to this song. But I do think that sampling the line "bonafide hustla making my name" was a smart move, with the potential to provide a relatively timeless hip-hop reference instead of latching onto trendy slang. ::sigh:: If only his production skills and lyrical skills could match his ideas.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
- SPACE IT -

Etiquetas: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger BC said...

Its such a shame as we both know how much I love that track by M.I.A. I'm not so much a swagga hater but I'm loathing the fact its so commercial now. I'm also loathing the fact that I sound like a hipster because I liked M.I.A when she was off the sampling/popular radar.

I'm also a huge hypocrite as T.I.'s track is my cell phone ringtone...checkin' my fresh...checkin'-checkin' my fresh...

1/15/2009 6:20 p. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home