IT'S THE MONEY SHOT!!

working towards an intellectual understanding of booty chatter.

martes, marzo 04, 2008

m.i.a.: poingly remix.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems here were a few weeks when anyone who had ever heard of M.I.A. couldn't stop talking about Kala, but after the hullabaloo about the album died down...I noticed that talk of Kala essentially became talk of "Paper Planes". And while it's a great song, I just can't get down with any of these remixes (AdRock, Holy Fuck, DFA, etc.) that are floating around.

Funny enough, there is one song on Kala that I've found significantly more enjoyable when remixed. I tried to keep my disappointment about "Boyz" a secret. After the supremely more interesting "Bird Flu" dropped, I expected so much more from the first single. It wasn't until I heard Rock Steady Drew and Leif's remixes that I could finally warm up to the song, and it wasn't until months later that I heard Poingly's take on the song.

Now, I mean this politely. There's something off about Poingly that's preventing me from liking his original music. He's received a bit of coverage in these internet parts (with particular love heading towards his cover of Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy"), but it might be the vocal style? The lyrics? The weirdness? Something just isn't right. With that said, something is so right about his remix of "Boyz". In this case, a song that I'm lukewarm about + an artist that I'm lukewarm about = HOTNESS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
- BUY IT - SITE IT - SPACE IT - WIK IT - HYPE IT -

Etiquetas: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason Glastetter said...

That's ok. I don't like my voice either...

3/07/2008 11:52 p. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home