IT'S THE MONEY SHOT!!

working towards an intellectual understanding of booty chatter.

martes, mayo 15, 2007

gotdion: missy elliott remixes.

GOTDION's contributions to Masta & GotdioN present: Missy Elliott provide a tricky bunch for critique.

As a huge Missy Elliott fan, I was hesitant to listen to these tunes. GotdioN and Masta aren't just mixing Missy...They're mixing classic Missy from Supa Dupa Fly to This Is Not a Test! (any representation from The Cookbook is strangely missing).

I can't say that I was wrong to hesitate. On the majority of this album, the instrumentals have a tendency to overpower the vocals. While Masta and GotdioN are both influenced by Timbaland, their styles of production don't necessarily work on Missy. Of course, there are exceptions.

GotdioN's version of "Hot Boyz" transforms i
t from boring mid-tempo R&B jam to an apocalyptic electro-rock masterpiece. The frenetic beat suits Missy and Eve on their mission to acquire these so-called "hot boys", but the song isn't entirely perfect. While a repeated chorus of "keep it movin" literally helps to keep the song moving along, an added verse by Elephant Man sounds entirely out of place. Who invited Elephant Man to this party? Not I. He is not a hot boy. And he certainly did not have what I wanted.

I'm pretty sure that GotdioN wasn't really going for an end of the world/battleground vibe on this project. However, his mix of "4 My People" makes me feel as if an army of Missy Elliotts is marching towards me, ready to destroy me if I don't join their band of party people. When Missy screams "YO, I'M ON FIRE!", I'm convinced that she may actually be on fire. Admittedly, it's a little creepy.

d/l: MISSY ELLIOTT f/ EVE & ELEPHANT MAN- Hot Boyz (GotdioN mix) (YSI)
d/l: MISSY ELLIOTT- 4 My People (YSI)
(apocalyptic Missy Elliott remixes)
- dlo it - space it - hype it -

BLOGWATCH: La New Shit brings us an Sta remix of Yelle. Sta himself has a new mixtape on his own blog. The Rich Girls are Weeping shows some love for Lil Mama's "Lip Gloss" and gives us a taste of her remix of Rihanna's "Umbrella".

Etiquetas: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

good drop jj.

gotdion is doin his ish...

and even though i hate the original song (and most of the remixes floating around) his remix of omarions icebox is nutball.

5/17/2007 10:44 a. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home