IT'S THE MONEY SHOT!!

working towards an intellectual understanding of booty chatter.

viernes, marzo 30, 2007

the finches: human like a house

THE FINCHES came to my campus, and now I'm totes crushin' on Carolyn Pennypacker Riggs. You may understand by merely listening to her voice, but you won't fully understand until you see her live. Her laid-back sense of humor could make any boy giggle and blush. Even GAYS!

Aaron Morgan's pretty cool too, I guess. I think people tend to forget him because Carolyn is a pretty girl with a pretty voice, but there would be no The Finches without him. An absence of The Finches in your life would be very sad.

So you don't really like folk music? Well, listen to this shit anyways. According to the band's bio, Carolyn Pennypacker Riggs' voice can be compared to Vashti Bunyan, Mirah, and the Marine Girls. I will honestly state that these comparisons do nothing for me. Truth is, the girl can just SANG. Yeah, I said it. I guess I'd call her the Jenny Lewis that you don't get tired of after a bunch of listens, but that's just another meaningless indie-bullshit comparison. Cuteness is most important...

Actual dialogue from concert:

Carolyn: So is anyone here from LA?
--Crowd: ::random woos and cheering::
Carolyn: Yeah, so is anyone here from Little Rock, Arkansas?
--Crowd: ::brief silence::
--Guy in Back: My grandfather died there!
Carolyn: Oh, morbid.
--Guy in Back: No, it was a beautiful place to die.
Carolyn: See...that's what I was thinking!

Whatever, I guess you had to be there. One of the songs
that stood out that night was "The Road", which featured unexpected guest vocals by Silvie Margot Deutsch of Belly Boat as she sang from the back of the room. This song was featured on their debut EP Six Songs. They currently have a new album out entitled Human Like a House, and I'm really feeling the title track. You should listen to it. When you're done, you can listen to live versions of BOTH of these songs on their website! Lastly, I'd like to say that if you like what you hear, I highly recommend both the EP and full album. Six Songs is available through their website, but you'll have to go here to get Human Like a House. Oh wait. One more thing. "Daniel's Song" is highly highly recommended as well.

d/l: THE FINCHES- The Road (YSI)
d/l: THE FINCHES- Human Like a House (YSI)
(sweet-voiced folk pop)
- site it - space it - hype it -

BLOGWATCH: I suppose this may be very out of place in a folk-pop post, but Kevipod posted the new Beyonce video for "Freakum Dress" and it is pure ferocity like some Top Model shit. Amazing choreography. I'm pretty sure this guy Jonte is one of the dancers in the beginning.

Etiquetas: , , , ,