IT'S THE MONEY SHOT!!

working towards an intellectual understanding of booty chatter.

viernes, marzo 28, 2008

bedtime for toys: bobby brown cover.

dl: BEDTIME FOR TOYS - Don't Be Cruel (Bobby Brown cover) (YSI) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wasn't even three years-old when Bobby Brown released "Don't Be Cruel". It may have had nowhere near the cultural impact of "My Prerogative" and "Every Little Step", but the title track of Don't Be Cruel was the former New Edition member's first top-ten hit as a solo artist. It makes me wish my entire life could be lived in a New Jack Swing music video. Remember when Bobby Brown wasn't a joke? I don't. But I wish I did.

Well, it seems as if
ITMS!! clubhouse residents Bedtime For Toys have no trouble remembering those times, considering that they've recently posted a cover of Brown's "Don't Be Cruel" on their space. My initial commentary was that it lacks the sincerity of the original, but the Toys make the song their own in a very different way. Together, Marchelle's vocals and the mid-tempo electro grind of the track establish this weirdly dominant stance. The lyrics become less of a plea and more of an order, as Marchelle reprimands the so-called "girl" for acting up. An uncomfortable amount of attitude. Gender-bending. Bobby Brown. Now that's what I call Punk 'n' B.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
BONER TRACK: BEDTIME FOR TOYS - Say BOOM (YSI) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
- BUY IT - SITE IT - SPACE IT - HYPE IT - WIK IT -

Etiquetas: , , , , , , , ,