IT'S THE MONEY SHOT!!

working towards an intellectual understanding of booty chatter.

domingo, abril 29, 2007

the artifical sea: city island.

THE ARTIFICIAL SEA sent me a note recommending their music after I made a post about AK-Momo. It's been months since their album was officially released, and I still haven't quite figured them out.

From the beginning, I was in love with Alina Simone's voice. I also am intrigued by Kevin C. Smith's production and instrumental skills. The two met "over what was arguably the worst theremin lesson in history". City Island is the result of their musical partnership, and it's a blend of mostly mellow (kind of sexy?) tunes. Their sound has been compared to Lali Puna, Bjork, and Portishead. Their sound is also incredibly difficult to pinpoint. You can't just hear one song by The Artificial Sea and understand everything they're about. The music ranges from epic ("Gloryhole") to minimal ("Ride This Thing"). It's easy to think that you'd be turned off by these inconsistencies, but they actually make the whole body of work stronger by showcasing the versatility of Simone and Smith's individual talents.

"Gloryhole" was a surprise for me, simply because I never expected myself to like a song called "Gloryhole". Arguably it is one of the few somewhat upbeat songs on the album, and arguably it is one of the best songs on the album. I have to confess that I have no idea what Alina Simone is saying on this song, but I don't care. The mere tone of her voice is enough to carry me through Smith's sleek production...and with a title like "Gloryhole", it's probably for the best that I don't know what she's saying.

d/l: THE ARTIFICIAL SEA- Gloryhole (YSI)
d/l: THE ARTIFICIAL SEA- Things We Spent (YSI)
d/l: THE ARTIFICIAL SEA- Ride This Thing (Realistic remix) (YSI)
(Electro-indie-experimental tunes)
- buy it - site it - space it - hype it -

BLOGWATCH: Gorilla vs. Bear
laughs with Diplo at his remix of Peter Bjorn & John's "Young Folks". I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS has a collection of covers of Sam Cooke's "Bring It On Home".

Etiquetas: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

Hey Joe,

Maybe the song's called "Gloryhole" but I'd like to remind you that your blog's called "It's the Money Shot!!" Touché.

-Kevin

4/30/2007 10:04 a. m.  

Publicar un comentario

Links to this post:

Crear un vínculo

<< Home