IT'S THE MONEY SHOT!!

working towards an intellectual understanding of booty chatter.

jueves, enero 11, 2007

omarion: innocent pleasure thursday.

OMARION is the first artist to be featured here in the experimental series, Innocent Pleasure Thursdays. My semi-hiatus gives me the liberty to try out some new things, figure out what this blog could become.

Innocent Pleasure Thurdays is a series in which I confess my so-called "guilty pleasures". As the defendant, I plead innocent. I enjoy a good amount of pop music, and I'm not embarrassed to say so. In a blogosphere full of musical elitism, I'm here to tell you that it's okay to break out your old Backstreet Boys or Avril Lavigne albums and rock the fuck out. Sometimes, music shouldn't be taken so seriously. Don't feel guilty anymore. Dance with no shame, stranger. Dance.

Returning to Omarion, his latest effort, 21, recently topped the Billboard album charts. Beyond that, his song "Ice Box" is climbing the charts of my life. When listening to Omarion, I can rarely separate him from his days as a member of the R&B boy-band B2K. It's as difficult for me as trying to separate his "brother from another mother" Marques Houston from his days acting as Roger on Sister, Sister or singing on the soundtrack to the 1997 Nickelodeon film Good Burger. When Mr. Houston was singing about sexing ladies up and getting "Naked", I couldn't stop thinking, "Go home Roger!"

Omarion is 22 years old, which seems strange to me given that his album is called 21. For me, he'll always be that teenager, grabbing the number one spot on 106 & Park, BET's alternative to MTV's TRL.
"Ice Box" is an exception to this rule, but I'm pretty sure it has very little to do with Omarion's artistic vision.

What makes this song special? Timbaland's production? Check. The Clutch's song-writing? Check. Omarion is just a pop star. It is likely that he will be irrelevant in a few years, as a new group of sweet-voiced "hotties" enter to steal the spotlight. They'll follow the same handbook that made Omarion a star, and they'll blow up just as easily. Hot producer? Check. "Hot" body? Check. Hot dance moves? Check. Dedicated tween fan-base who would dog me out if they read this post? Double check.

Omarion is replaceable...and I'm totally okay with that. But I won't stop listening just yet.

DOWNLOAD: OMARION- Ice Box (GotdioN remix)*

- BUY 21 - SPACE Omarion - SPACE GotdioN -

* I fear the RIAA, so I will never post original versions of pop songs on this blog (any more). I'm not too sorry, because this remix is, as some R&B bloggers might say, FIIIRE!!!

BLOGGER NOTES: Big thank you to stereogum and bigstereo for linking up the Yo Majesty remix/cover competition. Also, please support my good friends at wesleying and vote for them as the "Best Alternative Media Outlet" over at US News. I don't care if you don't go to my school...help some bloggers out!

BLOGWATCH: With all that said, bigstereo has an interview with Uffie. Check that out! Beauty n the Beat is back in action, fulfilling my need for innocent R&B pleasures. Gorilla vs. bear brings us some new stuff by DJ Danger Mouse, as well as a new artist by the name of David Vandervelde. For even more tunes, check out Vandervelde's Daytrotter session. Badminton Stamps, snuh, and RF Blog all pay tribute to the 2007 inductees to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame -- Patti Smith, R.E.M., Grandmaster Flash, The Ronettes, and Van Halen.

Etiquetas: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Beauty said...

Thank you so much Joe! I'm digging some of Omarion's new material, his voice is whack but I'm forced to admit his music surprised me.

1/11/2007 6:57 a. m.  

Publicar un comentario

Links to this post:

Crear un vínculo

<< Home