IT'S THE MONEY SHOT!!

working towards an intellectual understanding of booty chatter.

martes, julio 18, 2006

the spirit marines: smells like wesleyan spirit.

THE SPIRIT MARINES go to my school. For this reason and this reason only, it is my moral obligation as an MP3 blogger to write a post about them on this blog. Unfortunately their page on the space is full of irony and good tunes but short on information. Therefore, I'm going to have to rely on stories about architecture.

Sam "Drums McCool" Ubl was in my architecture class. He talked about his girlfriend at Yale a lot, but maybe I just overheard that a lot because he sat next to me. Rumor has it that he wrote for Pitchfork Media at some point, but forget that. What you need to know is that Sam had an affinity for creating ridiculously conceptual models that drove my professor crazy with their simplicity. Why you need to know that, I have no idea.

I had heard of The Spirit Marines months before I realized that Sam was actually in the band. I overheard him talking about the band getting photos for a press packet. Terrible person that I am, I decided I liked Sam more because he was in a band. I wasn't going to go out of my way to be friends with him, but he became less of an awkward architectural acquaintance and more of
a "cool kid who wrote for pitchfork and is in a band". Are you even supposed to admit things like that to the internet? I think I may have even had a friend who wanted to make out with him because he wrote for Pitchfork, so I guess I don't feel as bad about it. Suck it internet. Suck it. And not the fun way.

Why should you care about Sam Ubl? Because you will be going to see him and the rest of The Spirit Marines this Friday, 8PM at Union Pool. If that's not the reason...you should care about him because he's in a band!

DOWNLOAD: SPIRIT MARINES- Challenger

BLOGWATCH: Stereogum bangs out a new jam by The Roots, "Game Theory". Rewriteable Content brings us the video and MP3 of the theme of Snakes on the Plane, only this time with MP3s from all the featured artists. You should especially check out "Rock N Roll" by The Sounds, which is much better than anything they're doing these days. Gorilla vs. Bear brings us an exclusive remix of Midlake's "Young Bride" by Cassettes Won't Listen.

Etiquetas: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Arch Noble said...

That sounds really interesting -- conceptual models. Did they include little HVAC systems built out of plexiglass...what was the scale? How much would it cost to build?

7/19/2006 10:58 p. m.  
Blogger Joe John said...

Haha...unfortunately we never actually made building models until our final project. I honestly don't remember much about his. Hell, I barely remember my own project because I was so jacked up on coffee.

7/20/2006 12:33 a. m.  
Anonymous Arch Noble said...

Well the important thing is that the caffeine didn't interfere with your memory of Sam Ubl writing for Pitchfork.

(cough) star f-er...

7/21/2006 9:33 a. m.  

Publicar un comentario

Links to this post:

Crear un vínculo

<< Home